Wednesday 4 October 2017

Dead fast

After slowly working though the upgrades for my KoW undead army it is time for a change of pace.

I had such a blast at the KoW international campaign day at Mantic HQ that I have ended up getting tickets for not one but two more up-coming events. Now here's the catch these events are for Mantic's The Walking Dead All Out War game. I own a copy of the game (purchases at Salute this year) but I have never played at.

The first event is the All Out War Tournament on Saturday October the 14th and the second is the Survival Day on Sunday October the 15th. Both events require me to have a fully painted survivor gang and some painted walkers as well. When I signed up for the events I hadn't even punched out the components from my set, let alone painted anything.

Looks like I am going to have to pull off a heroic effort to get myself ready for this so here goes.

Yesterday morning I grabbed my can of primer and got to work. Here are the survivors from the boxed set.


And here are the walkers to pit them against.


Having never played the game before I don't know how competitive the survivors from the boxed set are so I have some more stuff coming in the post which I will also need to get ready. I guess I will also need two full gangs for learning the game as Dan doesn't own any himself.

End of Day 1 (9 days remaining)
After a reasonably epic night's painting I now have all the starter set survivors base coated. At the moment they look pretty rubbish but a wash and a few highlights should be enough to make them look a bit better. I am aiming for a good table-top standard of painting when I am finished.





I have also made a start on some of the walkers. I'm not exactly sure what colour I want to do the flesh on the walkers so I have done the first batch as a mix of either flesh, rotting flesh or a blend of the two. I will see what works and adjust my colour scheme for the next batch accordingly.
This lot is still waiting impatiently for me to make a start.
So after the end of the first day things are going reasonably well. Another night like that and I will have broken the back of the starter set I reckon. That should hopefully mean I have a reasonably clear work bench for when the reinforcements arrive in the post. I have other several commitments before the events so I won't be able to pull this kind of painting session every night - I will need to get in some play test games for starters. If I do manage to blitz things I also have some more scenery to try and paint to take along with me - there is no rest for the wicked!

1 comment:

Nick said...

You are ahead of schedule, keep it up! I feel that a great team can still come out of a core box; I loved X-Wing but if I tried to run the titular ship in squadrons, I'd routinely get chewed up.
Sandra is a talented runner and her "nimble" skill is a real asset. Rick can control threat and Carl makes him more lethal. Carl can be made perpetually immortal with his lucky hat (so long as your black dice rolls are hot).