Thursday 2 January 2014

2013 - Failing in style

Kickstarter and Indiegogo - you have a lot to answer for.

If you don't take into account crowdfunding campaigns then this year I didn't buy too much. Sadly though factoring in campaign "rewards" turns 2013 into a fail of epic proportions for my wargamers pledge.

On the bright side I did managed to paint up 286 28mm miniatures (and 90+ 10mm ones). That's probably my biggest tally in a single year so far. (Adjusting for cavalry, mosters etc as I have in previous year that's more like 340 miniatures.)

There have been some notable successes though :-
  • I made a lot of progress on my RPG miniatures (prior to the arrival of half a tonne of Reaper Bones!).
  • My Orcs and Goblins are now playable KoW armies.
  • I have a new undead army I didn't have 6 months ago.
  • My Xenomorph project is almost complete after years in the lead pile.
  • I learned how to speed paint.
2014 will be different! (I really hope so anyway)

I now have such a large haul of minis from all the crowdfunding campaigns that I have become somewhat desensitised to sales and bargains which would previously have got me really excited. If I can muster some enthusiasm and dedication coupled with my new founf speed painting techniques then I should be able rack up some serious numbers on the painting front this year. Well it would be nice to think so anyway.

Of course I still have the second wave of Dead Zone miniatures heading my way but other than that I'm pretty much in the clear on the crowd funding front at the moment.

Maybe this will be the year my Dwarves get painted.

2 comments:

Tristan M said...

would love to see a speed painting tutorial or two :)

Maccwar said...

Speed painting is a relative term. I can now paint up some miniatures a lot quicker than I used to but I'll still never be as quick as some people. If I remember I will jot down a few notes in a future post.